The Old Clerk's Office (c. 1847) was the first official building on the Courthouse Green to house the records of the county. Before this time, Goochland's records were kept in a building constructed by William Miller (Clerk, 1791-1846) near his home. The exterior of the building is largely untouched by alterations but the interior was modified for use as an office and is currently housing the Historical Society's museum collection.
Though founded in 1968, the Society had no home until, in 1980, the Goochland Board of Supervisors gave permission for the Society to adapt the Old Stone Jail (c. 1833) on the Courthouse Green into a museum and library. From 1980 to 1997, the Jail served as the first headquarters building for the Society. The Jail was constructed when the James River and Kanawha Canal was being built westward along the James River. River stones were brought up the hill to the site. After the building was no longer used as a jail, restoration resulted in the removal of all of the original cells, iron bars and fittings.